|Project||Knowledge Base||Playing Guide||Coding|
Death in Might and Magic is something that frequently occurs to monsters, but party members are at risk as well. Non-player characters do normally not die in the game, unless such an event is part of the story or they change from citizen into monster. Animals also do normally not die.
A monster dies if its hitpoints drop to zero or below. Once dead, its body (if the monster is corporeal) - can be looted, upon which it will disappear. A few monsters have the ability to reanimate a dead monster.
If a player character's hitpoints drop to zero, the character doesn't immediately die, but falls unconscious. Only if their health drops significantly below zero does death occur. A dead player character can be raised at some temples or if another character casts the raise dead spell of Spirit Magic, also available as a potion. The point where unconsciousness turns into dead can be temporarily extended by bestowing preservation on a player character beforehand.
Dead and unconscious are two of several conditions where a character is immobilized. The others are asleep, stoned, paralyzed and eradicated. If all player characters are immobilized, the party as a whole dies. This does, however, not mean the end of the game, since the untimely death of the party is not in their writ. The game will pause and open the death screen, where the player is given the option to resume or quit.
If the option to resume is chosen, the game will continue in the following manner:
- two weeks pass, plus the time to roll forward to 9:00 AM;
- the party awakens on the riverboat, the St. Nicholas;
- all characters are fully healed and replenished, and are not hungry or out of breath;
- all spells and conditions are cancelled;
- all Lloyd's Beacons and Time Gates are cancelled;
- the party's purse is empty, but their bank accounts remain;
- all hirelings have left, but quest characters that accompanied the party have remained;
- possessions have been damaged to the same extent as with the highest level of explosion.
By letting the party awaken on the riverboat, it is automatically guaranteed that in the opening stage of the game they stay restricted to the southern provinces.